Cigi appoints three farmers to its board

With farmers paying for part of its funding directly, Cigi says it’s important to get them more involved in governance

Three Prairie farmers have been appointed to the Canadian International Grains Institute’s six-member board, just one of many changes to the institute in the wake of the Canadian Wheat Board end of its sales monopoly Aug. 1. Cigi, which teaches customers how to use Canadian crops, was founded in 1972 by the wheat board and

Government putting finishing touches on new food-safety act

CFIA wants feedback on inspection changes The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is seeking feedback on its plans to streamline food-safety inspection to put more emphasis on risk management. The agency has posted background information and directions on its website www.inspection.gc.ca on how individuals, groups and associations can comment on the plans, first announced in the


Higher prices lure farmers

Reuters / Canadian farmers intend to plant nearly a million acres more wheat than the industry expected in the first year of an open grain market, along with a record-large canola crop, Statistics Canada reported late last month in its initial forecast of 2012 planting intentions. Drier-than-normal weather in Western Canada, stretching back to last

Canada’s role in meeting humanity’s biggest challenge

In 40 years’ time the world will need to have increased global food production and supply by 100 per cent to provide adequate nutrition for its nine billion or more inhabitants. This implies an annual growth in agricultural productivity of 2.5 per cent, from the same or less land. Over the past three decades, despite


Letters, June 7, 2012

Farmers own CWB assets Gerry Ritz, once again, attempts to justify the confiscation of the contingency fund and other assets of the Canadian Wheat Board single desk, “Contingency fund not owed to farmers” in the May 31 issue. He is correct in stating that the fund was not generated by the CWB’s “normal” pooling operation

Food strategy missing from ag committee report

The Commons agriculture committee is backing calls for a national food strategy, but says there’s not time to develop one before the launch of the Growing Forward Two program next April. “It’s really a different issue from Growing Forward, which is a slate of programs to help farmers,” said Tory MP Larry Miller, the committee’s


AAFC clarifies checkoff administrator’s authority

The federal government plans to sign an agreement with the Alberta Barley Commission to dictate how farmers’ money collected from the proposed new interim wheat and barley checkoff for research and market development is spent. “ABC and AAFC (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada) intend to enter into an agreement that will specify what dollars-per-tonne amounts that

Processors fear added costs with meat inspection

A pending change to meat inspection in the province is raising concerns. The current agreement between the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and the province officially expires June 15, although the CFIA has agreed to continue to oversee inspections until the end of 2013 when the province will take over. (The change doesn’t affect federally registered


CWB producer contracts change

CWB is advising Prairie farmers that important changes have been made to CWB permit and contract processes for the 2012-13 crop year. These changes have been made to streamline CWB processes for the new marketing environment and align with new IT system requirements. Landlords and interested parties who share in a producer’s returns can no

KAP questions checkoff administrator

The Keystone Agricultural Producers is miffed over a federal decision to appoint the Alberta Barley Commission as administrator for the new interim checkoff on western wheat and barley. “I can’t see why KAP couldn’t have handled it or why the Canola Growers or Corn Growers couldn’t,” KAP president Doug Chorney said in an interview last