Information taken from Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living
- Perform daily tick checks, particularly after spending time in areas with known blacklegged tick populations.
- Remain on paths and away from long grass.
- Wear appropriate tick repellant.
- Wear long pants, long-sleeved shirts and closed-toe shoes.
- Tuck pants into socks.
- Wear light colours to more easily detect ticks.
- Check clothing and other items for ticks.
- Bathe soon after coming indoors to easily check for ticks.
- Check pets for ticks.
Landscaping advice for preventing tick bites
- Install a mulch, rock or gravel border between a yard and any surrounding woods.
- Limit habitat for tick carriers such as mice.
- Keep woodpiles and other tick habitat away from the house.
- Mow lawn and prune trees and shrubs frequently.
- Keep playsets away from bushes or woods.
- Avoid ground-hugging plants in often-used areas.