Watersmart tips from the Lifesaving Society
• If you’re not within arms’ reach, you’ve gone too far! Drowning is the second-leading cause of death, behind motor vehicle accidents, for children aged two to four.
• Choose it! Use it! Live! Ninety per cent of all boating-related drowning incidents involve people not wearing PFDs.
• Swim with a buddy and watch out for each other. Victims were often alone or mere metres from others when they drowned.
• Swim to Survive. Take some form of lessons to reduce your risk. Basic skills can be acquired in a few hours.
• Become a lifesaver. Learn first aid, CPR and rescue skills in a lifesaving course.