Reuters – Hong Kong has ordered a pig cull after confirming its second case of African swine fever in a month.
The Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department on Nov. 23 said it planned to cull around 1,900 pigs from one herd on Nov. 25 after the virus was discovered at a pig farm.
The licensed farm at Lau Fau Shan, in the rural Yuen Long area near the border with mainland China, tested positive for the virus after staff took samples from 62 pigs.
Read Also
Canada’s import ban on Avix bird control system ruffles feathers
Canadian producers’ access to Bird Control Group’s Avix laser system remains blocked despite efficacy studies and certifications, as avian flu deaths rise.
“The present case does not affect the operation of local slaughterhouses nor the overall supply of live pigs,” the department spokesperson said in a statement, adding that it will conduct stringent cleaning and keep local pig farms under surveillance.
Earlier this month, authorities ordered the culling of around 5,600 pigs after detecting an ASF outbreak at a farm in Yuen Long. It was not immediately clear if the second case was found at the same farm or a different one.
