The hog sector remains on high alert following more confirmed cases of the deadly PED in barns in southeastern Manitoba.
Six cases of PED have now been confirmed as of June 1.
The first case was confirmed in a finisher barn May 15.
As of the end of last week, the virus has been found in three finisher operations, two sow operations and one nursery operation.
Five of the six affected sites fall within the boundaries of a broad area in southeastern Manitoba defined after the first case was confirmed.
Biocontainment is in place on all affected premises while Manitoba Pork and the Chief Veterinary Office work with herd veterinarians to trace back and determine potential sources for the new outbreaks. Nothing had been identified as of June 1.
Meanwhile, enhanced bio-security steps remain strongly recommended for all premises and by all stakeholders in a large region of southeastern Manitoba defined since the first confirmed outbreak last month.
That area is bounded on the west by Hwy. 75, north by provincial road 210, east by Hwy. 12, and south by Rd. 34 N.
All those with barns inside that defined area must be on the highest alert and taking all possible steps to ensure the virus does not spread, said a Manitoba Pork official.
“We’re very much recommending strengthened or heightened biosecurity in the area,” said Jenelle Hamblin, manager of swine health with Manitoba Pork, noting veterinarians should be consulted on enhanced biosecurity protocols for all premises.
All producers are urged to register for the password-protected Manitoba Coordinated Disease Response (MCDR) online to access detailed information regarding status and location of affected premises.
To arrange to sign a producer confidentiality/information sharing agreement to access MCDR, or for any other assistance, contact Jenelle Hamblin, manager of swine health, at [email protected] or 204-235-4442.
Manitoba Pork’s PED web page has extensive biosecurity information.