This year there were 30 entries from 11 competing farms. The judging took place at East 40 Packers. A number of factors including overall weight, quality and texture of muscle, eye, and marbling were considered in choosing the top carcasses. Judges look for the perfect combination of meat quality traits and measurements.
The winning carcass will be donated to the Culinary Arts Program at ACC so the aspiring chefs can cook with Championship Pork, Karen Oliver, general manager of the Provincial Exhibition said in a release. The other four winning carcasses will be donated to food banks in the area.
Each of the winners contributed a portion of their prize to a Manitoba charity. The winners and their charities are as follows:
1. New Haven Colony, Argyle donated to Provincial Exhibition of Manitoba;
2. New Rosedale Colony, Portage la Prairie, donated to Portage Hospital;
3. Wellwood Colony, Ninette donated to Westman Dreams;
4. Iberville Colony, Elie, donated to Children’s Hospital;
5. Plainview Colony, Elkhorn donated to Elkhorn Manor.