Cargill bans international travel for staff amid coronavirus outbreak

International grains trader and processor Cargill Inc. has banned all non-essential travel for its employees for at least two weeks due to the coronavirus outbreak, company spokeswoman April Nelson told Reuters Feb. 27.

Cargill, the largest private U.S. company, said any essential international travel would need approval from a member of the company’s executive team.

The company has also asked that employees who have travelled to outbreak areas in China and Italy work from home for the next two weeks as a precaution, Nelson said.

None of the company’s employees has been confirmed to have the virus, she said.

The coronavirus outbreak, which originated in the Chinese city of Wuhan late last year, has infected about 80,000 people, killed more than 2,700 and spread to another 44 countries.

“This is in the interest of our employees and out of an abundance of caution. We are trying to do our part to limit the spread of coronavirus,” Nelson said.

The travel ban does not impact domestic travel by staff, she said.

Related Articles

About the author

Comments

explore

Stories from our other publications