The extended national cull breeding swine program will begin taking applications from eligible hog producers as of May 7.
The extended federal program, delivered by the Canadian Pork Council, goes further back to include breeding swine culled between Aug. 1 and Oct. 31, 2007.
That’s on top of any breeding swine covered under the original program, which provided payments for animals culled from Nov. 1, 2007 to Nov. 30, 2008.
Qualifying producers will be paid $225 per breeding swine culled over the period from Aug. 1, 2007 to Nov. 30, 2008, adjusted for proceeds from sales made through regular channels between Aug. 1, 2007 and April 13, 2008. Breeding swine sold after April 13, 2008 where the pork was sent for human consumption are not eligible.
Producers who shipped hogs for rendering may also recover eligible slaughter and disposal costs, the CPC noted. On-farm culls during the period may also be eligible if they were witnessed by a qualified person and complied with “environmental and humane treatment conditions.”
On the industry-sponsored radio program “Farmscape” last week, council public relations manager Gary Stordy said hog farmers must have their applications en route by June 30 and in Ottawa by July 7.
“Unfortunately that’s a very tight timeline for people interested in applying but we hope that those interested in the program already have their bills and paperwork lined up to apply,” he said.