Manitoba to open more Crown lands to haying, grazing

Province now taking requests for permits

(Dave Bedard photo)

Manitoba livestock producers up against dry conditions can now apply for temporary passes to get onto Crown land not normally designated for grazing or haying.

The province announced Friday it will make such lands available this year for agricultural use “under certain circumstances.” Permits and land uses will be handled through the Agricultural Crown Lands Leasing program.

Livestock grazing on permitted land must be removed either when its natural forage is exhausted, or by Oct. 31, the province said. Baled hay must be removed by Nov. 15.

The province also noted that if producers with AgriInsurance contracts plan to put a crop to alternate use, such as for feed, they first must contact Manitoba Agricultural Services Corp. to arrange for a field appraisal before that crop is harvested.

“Crop producers should also consider making crop residue available to livestock producers,” the province said Friday.

Producers interested in applying for Crown land use can contact the Agricultural Crown Lands Leasing program at 204-867-6550 or call their Agricultural Crown Lands district office. — Glacier FarmMedia Network

About the author


Editor, Daily News

Writer and editor. A Saskatchewan transplant in Winnipeg.



Stories from our other publications