Brown Sugar Glazed Chops
- 1/2 c. (125 ml) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c. (125 ml) apple juice
- 1/4 c. (50 ml) canola oil
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. (2 ml) ground ginger
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) cornstarch
- 1/2 c. (125 ml) water
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 6 pork loin centre chops, boneless, about 1 inch / 2.5 cm thick
In small saucepan, combine brown sugar, apple juice, oil, soy sauce and ginger. Bring to a boil.
In small bowl, combine cornstarch and water; whisk into brown sugar mixture. Stir until thickened. Remove saucepan from heat and let mixture cool slightly.
Season mixture with salt and pepper according to taste.
Preheat barbecue on high, reduce heat to medium. Place chops on lightly oiled grill grate. Grill 5-7 minutes per side or until instant-read thermometer registers 155 F.
Brush chops often with glaze and again before removing from grill.
Source: Manitoba Pork Council
Brown Rice & Toasted Bean Salad
- 1 c. (250 ml) brown rice, rinsed
- 1 c. (250 mL) frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 3 large plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 6 green onions
- 1 can (540 ml) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 tsp. (4 ml) dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp. (4 ml) ground cumin
- 3 c. (750 ml) baby arugula leaves
- 2/3 c. (150 ml) roasted pumpkin seeds or sliced almonds
- 2/3 c. (150 ml) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 c. (125 ml) chopped cilantro
- 1/3 c. (75 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp. (2 ml) pepper
In a saucepan, bring rice and 2 cups water to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until no liquid remains, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes; fluff with fork.
Meanwhile, in cast iron or other heavy skillet, toast corn over high heat, shaking pan, until fragrant and charred, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
In same skillet, cook tomatoes and onions, turning once, until softened and charred, about 3 minutes. Let cool on cutting board; cut into small chunks and add to bowl.
Add black beans, oregano and cumin to skillet; cook until beans are dry and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add to bowl. Stir in rice, arugula and pumpkin seeds.
Add dressing, feta cheese and cilantro; toss to coat.
Source: Manitoba Pulse and Soybean Growers Association