Baked Apple and Bacon Pancake
- 4 tart apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/3 c. (80 ml) dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. (2 ml) ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) butter
- 6 slices applewood smoked bacon, cooked, drained and torn into small pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 1 c. (250 ml) milk
- 1/2 c. (125 ml) EACH all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. (2 ml) salt
- Maple syrup for drizzling
Preheat oven to 425 F.
In large bowl, combine apple slices, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; toss gently to coat. Set aside.
In 10-inch ovenproof or cast iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat; swirl to coat bottom and sides of skillet.
Arrange seasoned apple slices over bottom of skillet. Sprinkle with bacon pieces.
In small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Add flours, sugar, vanilla extract and salt; whisk until batter is smooth. Pour batter evenly over apples and bacon.
Place skillet in oven and bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes.
Remove skillet from oven. Slide pancake onto serving platter and slice into wedges. Serve im- mediately.
Drizzle with maple syrup if desired.
Source: Manitoba Pork Council
Lentil Cakes with Creamy Horseradish Sauce
- 1 c. dried lentils
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 rib celery, chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 c. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- 2 c. cooked rice Salt, to taste
- 1 c. ground bread crumbs or flour
Place the lentils in a large pot and submerge, adding an additional 2 inches of water. Boil for 20 minutes, or until tender.
Sauté the onion, pepper, and celery in the olive oil until the onions are slightly browned.
In a medium bowl, combine the lentils, vegetable sauté, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, parsley, rice, and salt, then mash slightly. Form into small patties. Roll in the ground bread crumbs or flour, and refrigerate while preparing the sauce.
When the sauce is done, pan-fry each patty until nice and brown.
- 1/4 c. mayonnaise or Vegenaise
- 1 tbsp. prepared horseradish
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a small bowl, whisk all the ingredients together until blended.
Serve with the lentil cakes.
Source: Manitoba Pulse and Soybean Growers Association