Members of the Manitoba High School Rodeo Association (MHSRA) wrapped up the first session of the 2015-16 year in Oak Lake in September. Other stops included Minnedosa, Winkler, Russell, Virden, Selkirk, and Beausejour, adding up to 12 go-rounds or competitions overall.
Junior High (JH) cowgirl, Tess Mortenson of Souris, N.D. sits in first place of the JH Girls All Around listing. Cassie Peake of Binscarth is in second spot, a mere 4.5 points behind Mortenson who has 341 so far. Sitting in third place is Jacey Boyes of Souris with 312 points.
In the JH Boys All Around category, Shane MacLennan of Argyle, leads the way with 311 points, followed by Virden’s Tyler Vodon with 305. Stran Dunham of Souris holds down third spot with 211 points.
Hannah McCannell of Carievale, Sask. leads all high school cowgirls with 248 points. Baylee Graham of Carberry (242) and McKenzie Rowe of Goodlands (213) round out the top three.
Three cowboys from Manitoba are the top three in the HS Boys standings. Leading is Tyson Salmon of Stonewall with 158.50 points, followed by Ethan Fairlie of Warren, a mere 4.5 points behind. Everett Fairlie, also of Warren, sits third with 147.5 points.
HS season leaders are:
- Barrel Racing – Graham, 68; Hallie McCannell, Carievale, Sask., 67; Morgan Kersten, Kramer, N.D., 65.
- Breakaway Roping – Graham, 73; Holly Madsen, Arden, 51; Hannah McCannell, 42.
- Bull Riding – Everett Fairlie, 48.50; Tyson Salmon, 39.50, Keenan McMahon, Inwood, 10.
- Goat Tying – McKenzie Rowe, 70; Hannah McCannell, 70; Morgan Kersten, 66.
- Pole Bending – Gracie Fawns, Gilbert Plains, 79; Hannah McCannell, 53; Cali Baker, Ste. Anne, 53.
- Steer Wrestling – Ethan Fairlie, 75; Everett Fairlie, 44; Bryce McMahon, Inwood, 38.
- Team Roping – Clay Allan, Balmoral and Austin Whelpton, Neepawa, 49; Beau Bridgeman, Rivers and McKenzie Rowe, 48; Tyson Salmon and Kade Peake, Binscarth, 48.
- Tie-Down Roping – Tyson Salmon, 71; Austin Whelpton, 70; Clay Allan, 60.
JH season leaders
Designed for students in Grades 6 to 8, the Junior High Division (JH) brings new blood to the MHSRA each year, which aids in numbers remaining healthy with the exception of rough stock competitors.
Presently, the number of rough stock cowboys is extremely low with just three JH male athletes having points in the bull-riding category. Other season leaders are:
- Barrel Racing – Tess Mortenson, 108; Jacey Boyes, 88; Madison McGee, Deloraine, 73.
- Breakaway Roping – Boys’, Stran Dunham, 58; Tyler Vodon, Virden, 54; Shane MacLennan, 48. Girls’, Jacey Boyes, 48; Tess Mortenson, 47; Kally Bodin, Hartney, 40.
- Goat Tying – Boys’, Tyler Vodon, 100; Stran Dunham, 98; Shane MacLennan, 78. Girls’, Cassie Peake, 105.5; Jacey Boyes, 97; Kally Bodin, 40.
- Bull Riding – Shane MacLennan, 59; Dawson Torgerson, Eriksdale, 17; Michael Landon Lamoureux, Lundar, 10.
- Chute Dogging – Tyler Vodon, 49; Dawson Griffith, Stockholm, Sask., 38; Shane MacLennan, 29.
- Pole Bending – Tess Mortenson, 92; Cassie Peake, 77; Lexie Hollingshead, Moosomin, Sask., 62.
- Ribbon Roping – Tyler Vodon, 72; Shane MacLennan, 67; Cassie Peake, 67.
- Team Roping – Shane MacLennan, 30; Tyler Vodon, 30; Jacey Boyes, 20.
If you love timed event action, the MHSRA is the place to shine, learn and garner lifelong friendships.
Darrell Nesbit writes from Shoal Lake, Manitoba.